Welcome to my blogger page. My professional profile can be found at DeirdreWRussell.wordpress.com and over at LinkedIn.com.
You can also find me at streamofcontinuousness for the fun stuff and fluff....oh and baby pictures.
This blogger page will mostly be devotionals and meditations on scriptures. I'm not promising to be serious here though. I seriously believe that God is Fun.

Enjoy my pages and I hope you come back to visit often.

Photobucket

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

birthday wishes for everyday lives

I was just writing a note of encouragement to a friend who is going through a rough time and having a birthday tomorrow.

What I sent her ended up feeling so right that I knew it had to be a blog post. So here is an edited version of it -

Dearest Friend,

Your birthday is tomorrow. You are turning 41 and I’m praying for you to have a marvelous day.

No I’m not being sarcastic.

Why should you have a good day?

  • Your pets love you.
  • I love you.
  • Your family loves you.
  • You will be going to an amazing Beth Moore event in less than two weeks.
  • You just read a wonderful book reminding you that your TRUE SECURITY is in GOD ALONE. Not man, not money, not marriage, not youth, not even loving friends.
  • And GOD LOVES YOU in a very real, and personal way.

Don’t know about you, but I’ve tended to have trouble with the concept that God loves me personally. I always sort of thought he tolerated me, IF I was being good. The wholly incredible truth that I am personally of value to God Most High has always been difficult for me to grasp.

Well recently I was singing to Ginny a very simple little kids song

“God loves me,
God loves me,
in my Bible book it says that
God loves me”
(Romans 8:39)

And, like a lot of little kids songs, you are just supposed to repeat the same chorus over and over and overandoverandoverandover …… till the child falls asleep....or you do!

Well being an adult I decided to try to amuse myself by thinking of other words that could fit in that song. Just to keep myself awake while Ginny drifted off into lala land.

That simple idea turned out to be SUCH a blessing. Somehow these truths had never sunk in when I read them as scriptures, but turning them into simple statements of how God feels about ME….it made all the difference in the world!

God SEES me
He knows my every moment. There is no point in time when I am hidden from God
(Psalm 139: 1-3 and Gen. 16:13)

God KNOWS me
He knows my every motive….and loves me anyway!
(Psalm 139:14)

God WANTS me
This one blows me away. God wants to spend time with me! I am his beloved. And you are too.
(Deuteronomy 7:6)

God HEARS me
There is not some cosmic message machine taking dictation and God will get to me eventually, God HEARS my every word, thought, laugh, wail and groan.
(Psalm 116: 1 & 2)

God MADE me
and not just my physical body. God made my life and yours. And though I have made errors in judgment, NONE OF WHAT GOD PLANNED WAS A MISTAKE. God doesn’t have a “plan B” this IS plan A. and it is the good and perfect will of God that you be strengthened and drawn closer to HIM through this season of your life
(Jeremiah 29:11)

As I lay there making up stanza after stanza for Ginny, I was being ministered to. Tears welled up as my sweet, loving heavenly father soothed my soul while I sang my Ginny to sleep.

Have a wonderful day in the presence of your Heavenly Father, who loves you. as do I.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Your song for your daughter is SO awesome!! I just stumbled onto your blog this evening, and when I started to read this post I was like, "No way! Someone else struggles with the same thing I do!" If you want, you can check out my blog and read some of the things the Lord has been revealing to me about His personal love... like my May 17th post (Seeing Jesus' loving, patient, kind character)... and also the May 14th post (God IS love).

God bless you...